FAC is a UKAS accredited laboratory (No.4400). Our Schedule of Accreditation can be seen by clicking on our UKAS logo. A UKAS accredited service for all allergens listed below is available on request. Using Enzyme Linked Immunosorbent Assay (ELISA), DNA based techniques and Chemical methods FAC offers a comprehensive range of allergen tests for finished food products, raw ingredients and swabs.
The allergenic protein of interest is first extracted from the sample matrix. The ELISA technique is based on selective and highly specific antibody-antigen interactions. The two main forms are the Sandwich ELISA and Competitive ELISA, in both cases the result is measured on the basis of the optical density.
Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) methods require the extraction and amplification of the target allergen DNA from samples. The crucial difference between the ELISA and PCR is that ELISA tests detect proteins whereas PCR detects DNA.
In addition to our specialist allergen service, we can also offer, through our UKAS accredited partner laboratories, a wide array of food chemistry testing including; Group 1 & Group 2 nutritionals, vitamins and minerals, heavy metals and mycotoxins.
- Gluten (AOAC-RI approved; Mendez extraction, R5 antibody)
- Gluten (Competitive ELISA for fermented and hydrolysed food such as beers)
- Milk Protein, Casein
- Milk Protein, β-Lactoglobulin
- Low Level Lactose (Based on the AOAC approved method)
- Crustacean / Shellfish
- Individual nuts – Peanut (AOAC-RI approved) Hazelnut, Almond, Macadamia, Walnut, Cashew, Pistachio, Walnut and Pecan
- 9 nut screen: All 9 nuts as above can be analysed in a single, cost effective test
- Histamine (AOAC RI approved)
For further information on our full range of services, including our same day service and highly competitive rates, please contact a member of our customer service team.